Dirty air ducts are just one of the many potential sources of air contaminants in your living space. The question is: should you clean your air ducts in your new home? The fact that every home is different, it is quite difficult to generalize whether or not cleaning air ducts would be helpful.
When to Clean Your Ducts: Expert’s Recommendation
You should consider cleaning the air ducts in your home if:
- You suspect the growth of mold in the hard surfaces of the ducts and other parts of the HVAC system. Some sections of your heating and cooling system may not be visible, so ask your service provider for accurate mold detection.
- Your air ducts are infested with vermin such as insects or rodents.
- You see an excessive amount of dust and other particles released from your air vents
- You have not cleaned your HVAC system for more than two years now.
The U.S Environmental Protection Agency recommends that you should clean your air ducts only as needed or if any of these conditions above exist. If no one in the house suffers from any respiratory ailments like asthma or allergies, it would be unnecessary to clean the duct. This also applies if there is no indication of mold or dust buildup after a professional visual inspection inside the ducts.
The Frequency of Air Duct Cleaning
It is just logical to clean your air ducts once they get dirty. But, how often should you have your air ducts cleaned? The National Air Duct Cleaners Association (NADCA) recommends air duct cleaning should be done every two to five years. But, the regularity of cleaning them depends on various circumstances such as the following:
- Location (what state are you in?)
- The frequency of using the system (how often do you use your HVAC system?)
- Allergy or respiratory problems ( is anyone in the family suffer from asthma or allergies)
- Pets (do you have pets that shed fur?)
You have to look out for evidence and conditions to tell you if it is time for duct cleaning. But, when moving into your new home, it is best to clean the duct and ventilation system to ensure a healthy air to breathe the moment you transferred.
Cleaning air ducts ensure a healthy indoor environment regardless if your house is new or not. If you need an air duct cleaning service, call us at Supreme Heating & Air Conditioning! We ensure accurate and complete duct cleaning for your home.