Is your air conditioner giving you grief? You’ve got a lot on the line with this one. Not only are you relying heavily upon an AC unit for comfort, but also it’s something that can make or break how well your home function during hot weather conditions like mid-summer when temperatures soar into triple digits.
If something is wrong with your air conditioner, don’t despair! You can try some quick fixes before having to call for AC repair Warren, NJ.
Check the Power
If your air conditioner is not running at all, the first thing you should check is the power. Make sure the unit is plugged into an outlet and that the breaker hasn’t been tripped. If it is plugged in and the breaker is not tripped, you may need a professional to help with AC repair Warren, NJ.
Check the Air Filter
One of the most common issues that air conditioning systems face is a clogged air filter. Over time, the AC filter will fill with dust, pollen, and other particles, which can restrict airflow and cause the unit to overwork itself. A lack of proper airflow will make it work less efficiently and eventually lead to failure.
To avoid this, check your air conditioner filter every month and change it when it starts to look dirty. A good rule of thumb is to change it every three months, but you may need to replace it more often if you have pets or live in a dusty area.
Clean the Unit
Another quick AC repair Warren, NJ, you can try is to clean the system itself. Over time, it will accumulate dirt and debris, which restricts airflow and causes it to overwork itself. To clean the unit:
1. Turn off the power at the breaker box and then remove the shroud.
2. Use a garden hose to spray down the air conditioner, being careful not to damage the electrical components; and
3. Dry up with a towel and replace the shroud.
Check the thermostat
If your AC unit is running but not cooling your home, the problem may be with the thermostat. Check first to see if the thermostat is set to “cool” and set to a lower temperature than the current room temperature. If it is appropriately set, but the air conditioning system still isn’t cooling your home, try changing the batteries. If that doesn’t work, you may need to call a professional for AC repair Warren, NJ.
Check the capacitor
Your air conditioning unit’s capacitor serves different purposes, but one of the most important is giving the AC unit’s compressor a boost to start up. If your capacitor is bad, it can prevent the compressor from starting, which will prevent your Air Conditioning unit from cooling your home. You can test the capacitor with a multimeter to see if it is working correctly. If it is not, you will need to replace it.
There are several reasons why a capacitor may fail, such as overheating. But the most common is simply because it is old and needs to be replaced. AC capacitors are not very expensive, so this is a relatively easy and inexpensive fix you can do yourself. However, if you are not comfortable working with electrical components, you may want to call someone qualified to do the AC repair Warren, NJ, for you.
Check the circuit breaker
A circuit breaker is a safety device that trips when an overload of electricity runs through it. This can happen if there is a short circuit or the air conditioner is overworking itself. If your unit is not working, check the breaker box to see if the breaker has been tripped. If it has, simply reset it and see if that fixes the problem. But if it still doesn’t work, you will need to seek help from an HVAC company.
These are just a few quick fixes you can try if your air conditioning unit isn’t working appropriately. If these don’t work, or if you suspect that there is a more serious issue with your system, it is always best to consult a technician for AC repair Warren, NJ.
4 Types of Air Conditioning Repair Services: Which One Do You Need?
There are generally four types of AC repair services: 1) preventive maintenance, 2) breakdown repairs, 3) emergency repairs, and 4) system replacement. Each type of service has its own benefits and drawbacks, so it’s important to understand all four before deciding which is suitable for you.
Preventive Maintenance: It is designed to keep your air conditioning unit from breaking down in the first place. The service includes regular tune-ups and inspections, which can help identify potential problems before they become serious. Tune-ups usually cover things such as cleaning the coils, lubricating moving parts, and checking the refrigerant levels. On the other hand, air conditioner inspections are more thorough and can identify potential issues that may not be apparent during a tune-up.
Benefits & Drawbacks
· It can help prevent air conditioner breakdowns before they happen.
· Tune-ups can improve the unit’s efficiency and help it last longer.
· Inspections can identify potential problems early on, when they are often easier and less expensive to fix, although they may not be able to prevent all breakdowns.
· Expect to shell out extra cash if you have multiple units or your air conditioner is particularly complex.
Breakdown Repairs: It is intended to fix AC units that have already broken down. This type of service comprises diagnosing the problem and then repairing it. Air conditioner breakdowns can be caused by a variety of things, from worn-out parts to issues with the electrical system. Repairs can be simple, like replacing a worn-out part, or more complex, such as repairing the unit’s electrical system.
Benefits & Drawbacks
· Can fix air conditioning systems that have already broken down.
· Repairs can often be done quickly and without too much disruption to your life.
· This type of repair can extend the life of your AC unit and help it run more efficiently.
· AC repairs can be expensive, depending on the problem, plus it may not also be able to troubleshoot all issues related to air conditioners.
Emergency Repairs: If your unit has broken down and needs to be fixed immediately, emergency repairs are your lifesaver. This type of service usually includes diagnosing the problem and repairing it as quickly as possible. AC emergency repairs can be caused by various things, from power outages to severe weather. Emergency repairs can be simple, such as replacing a blown fuse, or more complex, like repairing the system’s electrical system.
Benefits & Drawbacks
· Can fix AC units that have already broken down and need to be fixed immediately.
· Emergency repairs can often be done quickly and without too much disruption to your life, but not all AC problems can be fixed.
· Emergency repairs can extend the life of your air conditioning unit and help it run more efficiently.
· Emergency repairs can be quite costly and disruptive to your life, especially if you have to wait for a technician to come to your home.
System Replacement: As its name suggests, system replacement refers to AC units that are beyond repair and need to be replaced. It includes removing the old system and installing a new one. AC system replacements can be simple, from replacing an old AC unit with a new one, to more complex such as installing a new air conditioner in a different location.
Benefits & Drawbacks
· Can replace AC units that are beyond repair.
· System replacements can often be done quickly without too much disruption to your life.
· System replacements can extend the life of your AC unit and help it run more efficiently.
· System replacements can be expensive, depending on the problem, may not be able to replace all AC units, and can be pretty disruptive too.
Which air conditioner repair service is right for you will depend on the problem with your unit and your budget. It is important to get repair services from a reputable company to ensure that the job is done right and that your unit is repaired correctly.
Warm Weather on the Way? Schedule AC Repair Now to avoid Future Headaches!
It’s that time of year again when the weather starts to warm up, and the thought of running your air conditioner starts to fill you with dread. If your AC is more than a few years old, it’s probably not running as efficiently as it could be, which means higher energy bills and a greater chance of breakdowns.
Supreme Heating & Air Conditioning can help you avoid the hassle and expense of repairs by performing a tune-up and AC repair Warren, NJ. We’ll clean it, inspect it, and make any necessary adjustments to ensure that it’s running at peak efficiency.
Schedule AC repair now at (866) 491-8297, and you’ll be able to enjoy the warm weather worry-free!