Close

How Safe is Your Christmas Tree From Indoor Air Allergens?

How Safe is Your Christmas Tree From Indoor Air Allergens?

For people with sensitive allergies, mold spores and allergens on your live Christmas tree can make the holidays nearly unbearable. But how will you know if your tree is safe from these microscopic indoor allergens? Continue reading to learn more!

Common Sources of Holiday Allergens

Allergies may get worse in the winter with your house closed-up, the heater on and all doors and windows shut. Your pine tree can also trigger allergies because it breeds these common sources of allergens.

Dust Mites

These microscopic allergens may alleviate your allergies in the winter as the air gets damp.

Mold Spores

They might be invisible to the eye, but these tiny particles can cause serious itching and sneezing. Mold thrives where moisture is present, including your real tree! Moisture build-up on its branches and leaves increases the chances of mold development. 

Terpenes

You’re likely familiar with that fragrant, relaxing scent from pine trees. This scent is the terpene, which is a chemical compound that can cause irritation in seriously sensitive individuals.

Symptoms of Christmas Tree-Related Allergies

Depending on your sensitivity level, the reaction can be worse if you get in contact with any of these allergens above. In some cases, an allergic reaction may take days or even months to occur. Once you develop allergies, you may experience the following symptoms:

  • Sneezing
  • Runny Nose
  • Dry & Itchy Skin
  • Coughing
  • Watery Eyes

Tips to Control Pine Allergies in the Holidays

Christmas tree-related allergens can be prevented with careful preparation and deep home cleaning. Here are a few tips from Supreme Heating & Air Conditioning that can help:

Purify Your Air

If you’re worried about the effects of these indoor allergens, then having a quality air purifier can ease your worries. It helps eliminate a significant amount of pollen, mold, and dust particles in your Middlesex, NJ home, thus keeping your indoor air clean and fresh.

Take Care of Your Christmas Tree

Dust off your tree as often as possible. Water it daily, but make sure not to overdo it because mold may develop. Use a blow dryer to dry the leaves faster and prevent the mold from building up.

Wear Your Mask!

Nothing is wrong with wearing your dust mask in winter. Always keep it on hand this holiday season to keep you from inhaling loose air particles.

Have an allergy-free and joyful holiday season without the worry of coughing and sneezing by keeping your home and Christmas tree safe from airborne contaminants. At Supreme Heating & Air Conditioning, we wish you a Merry Christmas and a blissful New Year!

Feel free to call us if your HVAC in Middlesex, NJ acts up on the holidays!

Share this post

Share on facebook
Share on google
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on pinterest

Have a Question?

Let us know how we can help